[be] Documentation

From: Peter von Kaehne
Subject: [be] Documentation
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 18:03:44 +0100

Dear Teus,

Attached is a zipped collection of 4 files:

1) retrieval.pl

This copies via the Google sites' API the pages, does some minor
cleaning up and creates a large XML file with the complete content
("site.xml").

2) menus.pl

This works on the "site.xml" XML file and re-creates a site, using the
additional files "license" and "style.css". The site is functional, has
the complete content AFAICT, internal links are working (if not
elegantly so) and the menus are as I discussed, simple and functional
(Home, Parent, siblings and children). A bread crumb thread would be
nicer, really complete and JS driven menus would be perfect.

I have separated the two tasks (retrieval and recreation) as latter
needed a lot of fine tuning and repetition, but did not need the very
lengthy repeated download again and again. Keeping it separate makes
probably continued improvement easier.

3) the license text is a short preamble taken from the EFF website re
GFDL and what should be in a file. The link to the GFDL needs
correcting, please. Not sure where you store it

4) the style sheet is primitive. It can benefit from work. But it works

So, this is task (1 - retrieving) and task (2 - creation of a HTML
collection with menus) complete. You now have Debian compliant HTML
documentation. What this documentation lacks in comparison to the
previous one (but not Debian compliant) is  the much poorer menu and the
lack of a search function.

The Perl I wrote is probably abysmal, but the best I can do, in fact I
worked well beyond the comfort zone + constantly looked things up and
learned more.

I obviously welcome critique and improvements. I have used a bunch of
modules, most but 1 or 2 seem to be part of a normal Ubuntu system. The
rest is easily installed via synaptic.

(3) - creation of DocBook XML remains. I will give this a go now, but
please do not wait for that. This would recreate really decent menus and
decent search by using provided system facilities.

Peter