Re: [be] BE and git-- I can't fetch it!

From: Kim Blewett
Subject: Re: [be] BE and git-- I can't fetch it!
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 23:21:20 +1000

On 05/13/2011 11:05 PM, Neil Mayhew wrote:

BTW, the subject line suggests someone is trying to grab code from git
who is not a developer. This is *not* something to be encouraged. The
documentation for installing bibledit does not, as far as I know,
I got the instructions here: http://sites.google.com/site/bibledit/community/development, which I reached by following the BE-WEB installation instructions last Oct; and from Teus's BE-users email to Phil and me regarding his very prompt fix for our menu item request.

I'm learning, but I'm new to git (and also very busy with a course), and I didn't think through the implications of "cloning" the repo that already existed. Thanks to Neil I did get the update, and just now I received his instructions for making a package to install on 18 computers before 9 of them leave on Tuesday (well, I'll install it once and then clone the SD cards, thus I can update all the computers while sitting at my desk!).

Our internet has been flaky again-- I'm av'ging one short email session about every 36 hours! Noon yesterday, 11pm today, ... which is why you haven't heard from me in a while.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and help!
Blessings,
Kim
recommend this, either.

This is someone who is actively involved with bibledit development, although not as a programmer. Kim is one of the main people suggesting/requesting features and doing thorough testing in real-life scenarios.

When the code is ready for release, it should go through the usual
release process, including whatever testing and QA happens for every
release; people wanting sources should get the most recent official
release. git repositories are for use by developers wanting to improve
the code, to work on it; they are not intended for end users wanting to
use the released application.

I agree completely, for something that is to labelled as a stable release. However, given that this is an application for end users, not programmers, it would help the QA process considerably if there were packages available for people to test, rather than having to build from source. Most of the other sword-related programs can be tested adequately by a programmer, but ideally bibledit needs to be tested by a translator, and that typically means somebody who isn't particularly comfortable with building from source.

I should also point out that in this situation Kim badly needed a fix that Teus had just committed to the repo, since she is providing bibledit to non-technical users who disappear back into the rural areas of PNG for a month or two at a time. In this case, the risk of a somewhat less stable application was outweighed by the urgent need for that particular fix.

Hope this info is helpful. Thanks for your great work on packaging! (I'm just an amateur at it; your experience and wisdom are very much needed.)

--Neil