Re: [be] BE and git-- I can't fetch it!

From: Neil Mayhew
Subject: Re: [be] BE and git-- I can't fetch it!
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 07:11:16 -0600

On 2011-05-13 07:05, Neil Mayhew wrote:
On 2011-05-13 00:37, Jonathan Marsden wrote:

BTW, the subject line suggests someone is trying to grab code from git
who is not a developer. This is *not* something to be encouraged. The
documentation for installing bibledit does not, as far as I know,
recommend this, either.

This is someone who is actively involved with bibledit development, although not as a programmer. Kim is one of the main people suggesting/requesting features and doing thorough testing in real-life scenarios ... she is providing bibledit to non-technical users who disappear back into the rural areas of PNG for a month or two at a time.

I should also point out that she is at the end of a very slow, unstable and expensive internet connection (cellphone-based), and so git is very helpful in reducing the download size. Even a 20MB download is a big deal for her. Last time she needed a lot of downloads she had to take a plane trip to the capital for the weekend just to get the bandwidth.

--Neil