Re: [be] BE and git-- I can't fetch it!

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: Re: [be] BE and git-- I can't fetch it!
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 23:37:08 -0700

On 05/12/2011 11:29 PM, Neil Mayhew wrote:

> On 2011-05-13 00:09, Teus Benschop wrote:

>> Jonathan has assisted a lot with packaging. Jonathan, do you perhaps
>> have some spare time?

Not really, but I'll give it a quick try :)

> In case it's helpful, here's what I just did to hack together a package
> for 4.2.67:

I prefer not to package unreleased things from git; at least in theory,
stuff that comes as an official release tarball should be more tested
and better quality source code than using the development tree.

There is a bibledit 4.2 tarball.  I downloaded it back in February, but
apparently never quite got as far as creating a package from it... I'm
about to try.

BTW, the subject line suggests someone is trying to grab code from git
who is not a developer.  This is *not* something to be encouraged.  The
documentation for installing bibledit does not, as far as I know,
recommend this, either.

When the code is ready for release, it should go through the usual
release process, including whatever testing and QA happens for every
release; people wanting sources should get the most recent official
release.  git repositories are for use by developers wanting to improve
the code, to work on it; they are not intended for end users wanting to
use the released application.

Jonathan