Ubuntu apt repository configuration (was: Re: [be] BE 4.0 update )

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: Ubuntu apt repository configuration (was: Re: [be] BE 4.0 update )
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 22:50:58 -0800

Wolfgang Stradner E wrote:

> I will use BE for some ordinary work (scrolling through the bible,
> looking up references ....) and tive you feedback if I find something
> not working.

Great, thanks for testing this.

> One question (not directly related to BE).

> Why are
>  http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
>  http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
> not found in /etc/apt/sources.list

Most likely they were added to your system in a separate configuration
file.  Look in /etc/apt/sources/list.d/ and you will probably find a
crosswire-ppa.list file (or something similar to that) which has them in
it.  Apt (and Synaptic and similar GUI tools) combine the files in that
directory with the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list when they decide
whaich repositories to use.

The idea if the directory for dropping extra files into is so that we
can create little packages that add them when installed, and remove them
when removed, more easily.  Otherwise automated ways to add/remove
repositories would need to edit the sources.list file, and since that
can be hand edited, trying to automatically edit it would be awkward or
slightly risky.

For a lot more details on this whole configuration of apt repositories,
you can do

  man sources.list

Jonathan