Re: [be] BE 4.0 update

From: Wolfgang Stradner E
Subject: Re: [be] BE 4.0 update
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:00:55 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your advice.

Added in /etc/apt/sources.list (by starting sudo thunar from a terminal):
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/developer-testing/ubuntu karmic main

started Synaptics,
reloaded it
searched for Bibledit
and could update it from 3.8 to BE 4.0
and BE starts now.

I will use BE for some ordinary work (scrolling through the bible, looking up references ....) and tive you feedback if I find something not working.

One question (not directly related to BE).

In Synaptic/Settings/Repository/Other software, there are 3 entries (active) with launchpad:
 http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/ppa/ubuntu karmic main (Source Code) and
 http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/developer-testing/ubuntu karmic main
Why are
 http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
 http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
not found in /etc/apt/sources.list
(there in only one path with launchpad, and this is
http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/developer-testing/ubuntu karmic main)

Greetings
Wolfgang

Jonathan Marsden wrote:
Teus Benschop wrote:

Just compiling from source would probably work even in this case
where packages have been installed. But perhaps the package 4.0 is
coming soon? Teus.

Mixing packages and locally compiled versions is not a good idea, you can end up with pieces from both installed at once, and that can lead to strange hard-to-find bugs (I've seen this more with libraries than with straight applications, but still... it's not a good approach to have both present at once). If someone wants to take the "from source" approach, it is best to fully remove (sudo apt-get purge PACKAGENAME) the packaged version *before* installing a version from locally compiled source. This is not Bibledit specific, it applies to all packages.

Wolfgang: You are very welcome to become a tester of my recently released Bibledit 4.0 packages, which are now in the Crosswire Packaging Team "developer-testing" PPA. I posted a message about them here on this list a few days ago: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bibledit-development/2009-12/msg00068.html

The line to add in /etc/apt/sources.list to "see" them would be

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/developer-testing/ubuntu karmic main

(change "karmic" to match your Ubuntu version, if necessary!).

Once I hear from a couple of BE users that they have tried these test 4.0 packages, and they work fine, I'll put "even more official" 4.0 packages into the main Crosswire Packaging Team PPA, and at that point everyone using "my" BE packages will then see those updates.

So far, no-one has actually let me know that they have tried these BE 4.0 packages. If no-one tries them, (because everyone is too busy/on vacation/enjoying New Year celebrations/etc!) then I'll probably need to do some more testing myself when I have a chance, and then "take a risk" and put the packages into the main PPA anyway :)

Jonathan

X-Quarantine ID  /var/spool/MD-Quarantine/15/qdir-2009-12-30-15.29.43-001