Re: [be] Bibledit 4.0 packaged for Ubuntu - testing requested

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] Bibledit 4.0 packaged for Ubuntu - testing requested
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 07:49:52 +0200

On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 11:42 +0000, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> On a multiuser machine, i do not think it is appropriate to use /var/www
> for what is essentially communication from me to myself (in terms of
> xiphos/bibletime/git or to selected and chosen others. I would think
> that such stuff should run via the ~user directory.

Some observations / questions on this one:

1. I tried accessing the home pages through Apache on Ubuntu 9.10, and
this is what it says:
Not Found
The requested URL /~teus was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.12 (Ubuntu) Server at localhost Port 80

What would the user or the bibledit installation script need to do to
enable this function? By default serving homepages through apache seems
to be switched off in Ubuntu and most likely other distributions too.

A script that enables the functionality for Apache or other servers
would help here.

2. Are there any machines, used for Bible translation, that really run
multiple users who are all translating and thus sharing their local web
server?

> re distinguishing runtime vs build-time dependencies: I do not think it
> should be up to bibledit to dictate which php capable server is
> available at build time as long as there is something which executes
> scripts at run time. And I think it is better if this is essentially a
> matter for the user or - if a must - the packager.

I have submitted a task for this on Savannah so that it will eventually
get done properly.

While I agree that bibledit should not dictate apache, does the user
have a choice in e.g. Ubuntu to install another php and server push
capable web server apart from Apache? Bibledit uses both of these
technologies for sending and receiving messages. Server pushing
technology is relatively new, and I am not sure how many web servers
support this.

> So making openssh a package dependency in ubuntu, but not at build time
> appears to me the right way forward and a simple warning that no
> webserver appears to be running should be all that bibledit does about
> IPC/apache.

This was put in the task too. Patience is the next thing that is now
required...

> Finally the current test in configure does not actually recognise the
> presence of php on my machine (ubuntu 9.10), so I commented it out for
> building in configure.ac. It build perfectly and run fine using IPC once
> I started apache.

This test was now removed from the ./configure script as it appeared to
look for php-cli, not php itself which would have been enough. Other
ways of testing the php-capability of the servers would need to be
invented. Any thoughts?

Teus.