Re: [be] Bibledit 4.0 packaged for Ubuntu - testing requested

From: Peter von Kaehne
Subject: Re: [be] Bibledit 4.0 packaged for Ubuntu - testing requested
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:42:38 +0000

Teus Benschop wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-12-27 at 00:29 -0800, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>> (2) I think Teus has recently mentioned a new dependency on Apache, but
>> in my (very superficial) testing I can run Bibledit 4.0 without apache
>> being on my machine, never mind actually running.
> In version 4.1 the following will break when Apache is not there:
> - No references synchronisation between bibledit, xiphos, bibletime.
> - No collaboration possible between members of a team.
> The dependency is not documented anywhere apart from in the installation
> documents online.

Dear Teus,

Firstly Bibledit getting better and better the longer I observe it. I
use it a lot to clean up/improve upon USFM files prior to conversion to
CrossWire modules. Thanks so much for sacrificing so much time and
effort to it!

A couple of thoughts though:

On a multiuser machine, i do not think it is appropriate to use /var/www
for what is essentially communication from me to myself (in terms of
xiphos/bibletime/git or to selected and chosen others. I would think
that such stuff should run via the ~user directory.

re distinguishing runtime vs build-time dependencies: I do not think it
should be up to bibledit to dictate which php capable server is
available at build time as long as there is something which executes
scripts at run time. And I think it is better if this is essentially a
matter for the user or - if a must - the packager.

So making openssh a package dependency in ubuntu, but not at build time
appears to me the right way forward and a simple warning that no
webserver appears to be running should be all that bibledit does about
IPC/apache.

Finally the current test in configure does not actually recognise the
presence of php on my machine (ubuntu 9.10), so I commented it out for
building in configure.ac. It build perfectly and run fine using IPC once
I started apache.

Yours

Peter