[be] Bibledit 4.0 packaged for Ubuntu - testing requested

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: [be] Bibledit 4.0 packaged for Ubuntu - testing requested
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:29:22 -0800

I've just uploaded new test packages of Bibledit 4.0 to the
developer-testing PPA at

  https://launchpad.net/~pkgcrosswire/+archive/developer-testing/

(1) A lot seems to have changed since BE 3.8, including a build-time
requirement for an ssh binary in the $PATH which does not seem to have
been documented in README or INSTALL files.  (Why is this needed and
being checked for at build time, rather than at run time?).  This makes
me a little nervous, and leaves me wondering if any other new
requirements exist that I may have missed :)

(2) I think Teus has recently mentioned a new dependency on Apache, but
in my (very superficial) testing I can run Bibledit 4.0 without apache
being on my machine, never mind actually running.  The only C++ source
file I could find the string "Apache" in is mainwindow.cpp, and that is
only in some comments at the end of the file that seem to be more design
notes (or ideas for the future?) than anything specific.  So I'm not
sure what sort of dependency this really is, and whether the Bibledit
4.x packages should do anything to encourage or force the user to
install Apache when installing Bibledit.  Exactly how dependent is
Bibledit on Apache?  What exactly breaks when BE is installed without
Apache, and how badly does it break?  Is this dependency documented
somewhere?

So, if some of you who really *use* Bibledit on Ubuntu could please test
these packages out, that would really help boost my confidence in them
before I "make this official" and put these packages in the main
CrossWire Packaging Team repository, and request that they be officially
uploaded into Debian Testing and (synced from there into) Ubuntu Lucid.

Thanks,

Jonathan