[be] [task #9999] Help in creating an on-line Bible Translation environm

From: INVALID.NOREPLY
Subject: [be] [task #9999] Help in creating an on-line Bible Translation environment
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:37:04 +0000

Follow-up Comment #5, task #9999 (project bibledit):

Without wanting to appear discouraging, my personal experience with webbased
translation tools is that they do not even come close to a proper local
environment. My experience is admittedly not that of a

Webbased translating encourages drive-by shooting which is nice if you have a
few strings to translate and want to foster community and casual involvement ,
but with slow connections and limited GUI elements available it appears to me
not workable for anyone who is serious with things.

That said, I start to wonder whether the SwordWeb system could not be build
up to that kind of system. A large amount of necessary infrastructure is
already there - searches, heavily indexed resources, original languages,
ability to rapidly tie in a new translation etc. It is basically a JSP/Java
frontend to the SWIRD engine and provides a developer with a fairly easy to
use set of building blocks. The one missing piece is the editing facility.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?9999>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/