[be] [task #9999] Help in creating an on-line Bible Translation environm

From: Phil Fields
Subject: [be] [task #9999] Help in creating an on-line Bible Translation environment
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:11:46 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, task #9999 (project bibledit):

I have done a tiny bit of research. I think that «the world» has already
provided a large part of the answer! Given what I see now, it should be
possible to more easily create an online environment for Bible translation.

For an overview of online collaborative sites and tools, see
http://www.mindmeister.com/12213323

It may be that something like diigo.com would be a useful tool.

The really exciting thing is Google Wave.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Wave

Rather than reading a boring discussion, you might see the 2 minute summary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDu2A3WzQpo

I really saw the advantage for making collaborative documents in this 1 hour
and 20 minute video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ
*GoogleWave is Opensource. This means that it would be possible to set up a
specialized WaveSite for translation.
*One could have hierachical documents for MTTs based on chapters and verses.
*Don't miss the real time translation demonstration at the end. Mother tongue
translators who don't know English and Consultants who don't know Indonesian
will be able to have discussions in via Waves, and the discussions can take
place in real time.

Just recently I started a GoogleDoc about a certain topic for our translation
team, which is creating a model/front translation. Our consultant responded
and made a huge comment about one verse. So I took that out, and made an
e-mail conversation with the consultant about that one verse. When the e-mail
discussion finishes, if I remember, I will put in the conclusion in the
original document. But all the readers of the document will miss the great
things our consultant said, and the discussion that led to our conclusion. But
with GoogleWave, there would be ways that discussions about verses could be
saved to become commentary like material supporting our model translation.
These comments would be useful to mother-tongue translators using our
translation.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?9999>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/