Re: [be] Bibledit 3.8 compile error under Ubuntu 9.04 (64bit only?)

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: Re: [be] Bibledit 3.8 compile error under Ubuntu 9.04 (64bit only?)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 01:15:50 -0700

Teus Benschop wrote:

> Thanks for the link to the description of possible shell access. I've
> asked the Savannah administrators for such shell access. Whether 64 bit
> machines are offered remains to be seen. Hopefully they do. Or perhaps
> they have 64 bit machines only. And, BTW, this email is written on a 64
> bit machine, only that the OS is 32 bits.

OK... so, as long as you have plenty of RAM too, one approach would be
for you to use a 64bit Linux as your main OS, and run a 32bit virtual
machine or machines for testing Bibledit in the 32bit world.  I don't
know whether persuading you to do this would be easier or harder than
getting access to a 64bit shell access box at Savannah :)

Meanwhile... it doesn't look like you have applied my 64bit fixup patch
in git yet... what needs to happen before you do that?

I'm asking this because I'd like to grab the patch out of your git tree,
and apply it to a Debian.Ubuntu package of the 3.8 release, so that when
the next tarball comes out I can remove the patch file from the package
source tree, and all is well.  This approach also makes it clear that
the patch is already included "upstream" (and so is not Debian/Ubuntu
specific, or some strange whim of the packager), and it makes sure that
the package I create does the fixup changes *exactly* the way you, the
"upstream" developer want them made, which may not be exactly how I did
it when I was testing.  For example, I did not comment the changes at all :)

For anyone else interested in the details, or in the patch itself, this
issue is Bibledit bug #27056 and so visible at
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?27056

Thanks,

Jonathan