[be] [task #9416] Bibledit subprocess removal, or better IPC mechanisms

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] [task #9416] Bibledit subprocess removal, or better IPC mechanisms
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 04:50:45 +0000

Follow-up Comment #1, task #9416 (project bibledit):

The functionality of bibledit-git started off to be done from within
bibledit-bin. The git processes are called regularly. As a result of that
regular calling the Gtk interface stopped responding and froze. When the git
processes were called from another process, this bug stopped appearing. For
that reason I'd be reluctant to move it back in bibledit-bin.

As far as the interprocess communications concerns, bibledit started off with
using the DBus system. But the implementation of DBus that was used suffered
from choking since Bibledit sent so many commands on it. Then, CORBA seems to
be a heavy-weight and would not do well on a computer designed for low power
usage. All in all, that was the reason that our own implementation of IPC was
devised.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?9416>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/