[be] [sr #106765] Make the embedded web browser in Bibledit pluggable

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] [sr #106765] Make the embedded web browser in Bibledit pluggable
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:06:16 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, sr #106765 (project bibledit):

About whether the embedded web browser would change in the coming years, when
xulrunner proved so difficult to maintain I looked around for a replacement,
and considered WebKit. However at that time WebKit was not easily embeddable
yet, so I ended up using GtkHtml. However, WebKit was first choice at that
time. Now that WebKit made it, it is not likely that it would change soon.

I can consider using GtkHtml for lite operating systems, but there are a few
drawbacks:
- It required substantial programming effort to implement it, and as you say,
there are still outstanding crashed on Windows with the whole system. Wheres
webkit has it all built in and hopefully runs well on Windows as well.
- GtkHtml does not have support for CSS, frames, and a lot of other web
standard. That will degrade the viewing experience. It is af we are giving the
user a lesser quality browser.

Hope you manage to get libwebkit running on MinGW!

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?106765>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/