Re: [be] First bibledit 3.6 Ubuntu package is built and being tested

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] First bibledit 3.6 Ubuntu package is built and being tested
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:51:24 +0200

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 00:38 -0800, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> Teus Benschop wrote:
>
> Got it, thanks; that is definitely *more* than I asked for!

It's more than you asked for, and it was less work for me. So that was a
good deal.

> I have a first package of 3.6 done, and it builds on my local machine.
> I need to test it a bit, and add "lintian overrides" for the lack of man
> pages for the subsidiary bibledit-* binaries, then we should be set to
> attempt REVU -- or a sync into Debian experimental and then a merge from
> there into Jaunty.

I hadn't realized that the man pages were needed to satisfy lintian
tests. In my local git repository I've added a couple of man pages.
Hopefully these are enough to satisfy lintian. Will be pushed into the
public repository within half a day.

> Since bibledit is already in both distributions, albeit in a rather old
> version, I think the latter approach is actually the more correct one...
> I'll look into that tomorrow, God willing.  If that works, it gets
> bibledit into both distributions, although Debian Lenny is already
> frozen, so we'd not be in a Debian stable release until the *next* one.

And that will be several years away from now..., so it is good that you
have started to consider putting it there.

> Great.  If you have trouble with that again, let me know the exact
> command(s) you are using to push them out, and the error messages you
> get, and I'll ask for help from more git-expert people than myself to
> see if we can find a solution.

Seems it is working now, I had forgotten to use the --tags when pushing
to the repository. After adding this switch it pushed tags out, so if
all's well, they should now be available in the public repo.

> You are clearly a *very* responsive "upstream"; thanks for making my
> life as a packager easier!
>
> Right now bibledit-3.6-1ubuntu1~jmarsden1 is building in my PPA, so
> Ubuntu Intrepid users who want to test it out could add a line
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jmarsden/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
>
> to their /etc/apt/sources.list file and then try
>
>    sudo apt-get update
>    sudo apt-get install bibledit
>
> to install it from there.  This *is* still definitely a private test
> version, so I'd not suggest this be done by anyone who can't afford any
> issues with it at all, obviously!

That is definitely good news for the translators that use bibledit. If
this information were posted to address@hidden, they would
then see it.

> No promises, but... do you have good current RPM packaging for Fedora
> and CentOS already?  A quick Google search found only RPMs for bibledit
> 0.6, dated 2005 :-)

Nothing current is available for RPM at all, and the 0.6 one is, I
think, the most recent one...

Blessings,

Teus.