[be] Re: bibledit-git polling

From: Dan Dennison
Subject: [be] Re: bibledit-git polling
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:43:28 -0800

On Jan 28, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Dan Dennison wrote:

I built bibledit-git using the '-pg' option. This results in gprof- style outputs.

I need to double-check this on Windows, but it seems to me off-hand that this loop is going to be CPU-expensive regardless of platform. bibledit-git is so expensive CPU-wise on Windows right now that it's hard to recommend for laptop users.

See my gprof output for details, but InterprocessCommunication::receive() is the most expensive function on Win32, with a tie between vector manipulations (likely from InterprocessCommunication::get_payload()), and g_usleep().

It seems that every call to g_usleep is invoking a thread. I think perhaps thread spawns are much slower on Win32, and thus the CPU slamming.

GProf output is at https://thedennisons.org/~dand/bibledit-git- gprof.txt.gz

Thoughts?

dan :)