[be] [task #8668] Help: Creating the repository on the stick: Adapt to m

From: Wolfgang Stradner
Subject: [be] [task #8668] Help: Creating the repository on the stick: Adapt to messages git gives
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 05:28:43 +0000

Update of task #8668 (project bibledit):

             Open/Closed:                  Closed => Open

Follow-up Comment #4:

Thanks Teus for this explanation.
This helps me to understand the situation and some of the problems I have:

I just followed the last version of:
/collaborate_usb_stick.html#creatingtherepositoryonthestick
where it says:
'4. The fourth step is to create a repository on the USB stick, and to copy
the data to it.
To create a shared repository on the USB stick, type:
git --bare init-db --shared
Git will respond saying that an empty shared Git repository has been
created.
Once this has been done we need to copy the actual data to the USB stick. In
the example we are going to put the data of Bibledit project "Ndebele" onto
it.
cd /media/repo/repository
git --bare fetch ~/.bibledit/projects/Ndebele/data master:master

doing this (with modified folders) the result is:
address@hidden:~$ git --bare init-db --shared
Initialized empty shared Git repository in /home/wolfgang/
address@hidden:~$ cd /media/be/r
address@hidden:/media/be/r$ git --bare fetch
~/.bibledit/projects/x/data master:master
fatal: Not a git repository: '/media/be/r'

What happened, that in the help file, where the line:
cd /media/repo/repository was there twice before,
the first one was taken out instead of the 2nd one.

-> change orders of commands in help to:
cd /media/repo/repository
git --bare init-db --shared
git --bare fetch ~/.bibledit/projects/Ndebele/data master:master

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?8668>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/