[be] Bibledit XO "activity"?

From: Kahunapule Michael Johnson
Subject: [be] Bibledit XO "activity"?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:50:05 +1000

I just finished with my turn evaluating an OLPC XO computer. I had it for several months, but being rather busy with other things, didn't really spend a lot of time on it. I did try a few things, though, beyond just playing with a few of the standard "activities." I upgraded the OS and activity set to the latest distribution using a memory stick. That worked OK. I connected to my home wireless LAN. That worked OK. I attempted to connect to the Internet (accessible via my home wireless LAN through an authenticating proxy server). That failed miserably. There is no standard, built-in method for dealing with such a barrier, that I could see. Since the XO runs a subset of Fedora 7, I'm sure it can be done, but I wasn't in the mood for hacking. I just wanted to see if I could expect an ordinary working linguist to use the toy, er, low power computer to do anything productive. Then, I thought I would load Bibledit on it. I found a pre-built binary for the previous version of the XO build on the Bibledit web site, so I downloaded that (using another computer), copied it to a memory stick, and attempted to follow the instructions. I could unpack the tarball OK, but hit a brick wall with the instructions to execute
yum install git-core
which, of course, failed due to lack of Internet access on that box. I could have tried installing some sort of proxy or tweaking settings at the command prompt. Naturally, I couldn't install gtkhtml, either, without heroic efforts. Instead, at that point, I wimped out and gave up. I have given that XO computer to Brian Chapaitis, where I'm sure it will be much happier. After all, Brian actually likes those underpowered computers. They require little electricity, and are more powerful than basic text-entry boxes like the Dana and Alpha-Smart and the obsolete Radio Shack Model 100 (the first low-power computer I ever used).

Is anyone still working on packaging Bibledit as a self-contained (with all prerequisites) "activity" that can be installed on an XO computer with a USB memory stick and without any Internet access? (I'm sure it was mentioned on at least one of these lists, but I get busy and there are over 5000 unread messages in my mailing list folder, now.) I really can't imagine the XO computer getting much use in PNG for Bible translation without that and/or Adapt-It packaged in the same way. (Unfortunately, I'm rather overcommitted with other tasks, right now, and can't take this on, myself.)

My dear brother and neighbor, Brian, is a great salesman promoting the OLPC XO. I'm a bit more skeptical, but I think that if we can make the software work and easy to install before the machine goes obsolete, it might get used for Bible translation in some remote places. If not, people might just have to make do with a better, faster computer and more solar panels... :-)