[be] [task #8079] Osis Language Definition or Use Ethnologue

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] [task #8079] Osis Language Definition or Use Ethnologue
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 04:47:22 +0000

             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Trying to BE-export my own language data to Sword to import
it into BibleTime, I found no way to define a new language
(e.g.) Djimini.
This language selection tool is great, but does not include
all the languages of the world (more than 6000).

-> Build as last item in the language selection tool the
open New (or Z-New if necessary) which allows to add new
languages to this list or
-> Take the Ethnologe and put in all the languages of the world.

I suggest using the Ethnologue, as this is a standard
document and is intended to be used for such situations.
Only there is a problem that the Ethnologue data cannot
redistributed without written permission from SIL, and
further, it is sizeable and would inflate bibledit quite a lot.

So I propose to implement this as an extra options. The user
can press a button to download this language data, and once
done, he gets the additional languages. Any ideas?

I suggest to
- give a link to the Ethnologue http://www.ethnologue.com/
with a (short) explanation how to find the language code for
a certain language
- build in an extry option into BE to add this code (in
case, it is not found in BE already)

As from bibledit version 1.5.10 one can now enter a language by hand, but
BibleTime does not support this yet, and will display "Unknown language".

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?8079>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/