[be] [task #8078] New usfm->osis converter

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] [task #8078] New usfm->osis converter
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 04:34:53 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4, task #8078 (project bibledit):

Character styles not showing in BE Sword export

When character styles such as pn are used in a project
and if this project is BE-Sword exported, this
character style is not shown

-> Let the BE-Sword-export keep character styles
features of a project.

I am not aware of any Sword module that actually displays
italics, bold, etc. in the text. Are you aware of any such
module? If there is one could you point me to it, so I could
see how they did it.

The problems to me seems that OSIS does not define character
styles, unlike USFM. OSIS is only concerned with the meaning
of the text, not the formatting.

Otherwise we may ask Joachim how to tackle this problem.

In any case Bibledit now removes any character formatting
from it so that the text looks clean.

I do not know of character formatting in the paragraph
texts, but are some of the titles/headings not in bold (or
is this effect based only on character size?)

The titles / headings are a bit different, because BibleTime
has provisions for that and displays them always as new
paragraph, so these things cannot be put in the text.
However, based on the OSIS 2 manual, Joachim might be
willing, if asked, to decide on OSIS tags which, when given
to Bibletime, display in bold / italic / underline, smaller
font, bigger font, and any combination of these. But as far
as I am aware, these things do not work at present in BibleTime.

OK, I will forward this to Joachim to check out, what he can
do in BibleTime.

Do you refer to bold, italic, etc. as character styles?
Here's a way to mark it up:

<hi type="bold">bold text</hi>
<hi type="italic">italic text</hi>

The types are bold, italic, emphasis, illuminated, italic,
line-through, normal, small-caps, sub, super, underline

Not all are supported by BibleTime at this time, though.

Thanks Joachim, for this hint. I've implemented it and some
styles work, like italic goes fine, and some do not, like
underline.

The file exported from Bibledit to the sword compiler has
all the styles we need, see /tmp/bibledit/sword_osis_input.txt

For example, the pn style now shows bold in BibleTime, but
the underline property does not yet show, but is exported by
Bibledit.

Italics markup shows, but bold and underline don't.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?8078>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/