[be] [task #7998] DC Book ID Support needed

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] [task #7998] DC Book ID Support needed
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:53:48 +0000

Follow-up Comment #2, task #7998 (project bibledit):

> I just wonder what the use is of the XXA to XXG books. I was under the
impression that Paratext was phasing these out, unless I am not correctly
informed. I meant to have read something about these books, that they were no
longer used, but that instead other books would be used. I think it is in the
USFM 2.x documentation where this information is given.

These are still useful in the case where you have more than one section of
peripheral material. For example, the Hebrew Names Version, as published, has
a section in the back listing many Old Testament prophecies fulfilled by Jesus
Christ, in addition to a separate glossary section and some other back matter.
It is intended for stuff that is part of the project, but not part of the
Inspired Scriptures. (I suppose the Holy Spirit could inspire some peripheral
material, and I don't want to pretend to limit Him, but I think you know what
I mean.) Anyway, I would think that the use of a specifically named book or
section would make sense where it is so defined, but if there is an "extra"
book that doesn't fit, it is better to use one of the XXA-XXG book
designations than to have the content overwrite or merge with another section.
Also, since Paratext supports these, it is likely that someone has used them.
If we include them, the whole project can be imported into one Bibledit
project. If Paratext really is phasing those out, then I suspect it will be a
long process that never really ends, like support for physical markup like
italics and bold.

The most recent USFM specification says (in
http://www.ubs-icap.org/chm/usfm/2.1/index.html?peripherals.htm):

    Paratext 6.1 will include the named peripheral books FRT, INT, BAK, CNC,
GLO, TDX, NDX, and OTH in addition to the XXA-XXG set.

    Paratext 6 supports a set of non-Biblical books, named XXA-XXG. These
appear at the end of a project's list of books, and may be used to author
non-biblical text for Front Matter (titles, preface etc.), Back Matter
(glossary, concordance etc.), or any other kind of text which should logically
be stored as part of the translation project.

I didn't see anything in the specification about phasing XXA through XXG out,
but I could have missed something.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7998>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/