[be] [ bibledit-Feature Requests-1932239 ] interoperabillity with other

From: SourceForge.net
Subject: [be] [ bibledit-Feature Requests-1932239 ] interoperabillity with other content managers
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:50:44 -0700

Feature Requests item #1932239, was opened at 2008-04-02 15:48
Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by teus
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=658624&aid=1932239&group_id=111189

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
My view on this one, after thinking about it, is the following (there's no boss
above me a regarding programming work, but there is a HOD for translation, so
as far as the programming is concerned there is true anarchy here and full
freedom, following the tradition of the good old open source founders  :-)  ):

1. It is not good to enforce one particular content management system upon
programmers, whether svn, git, emailed patches, hg, bzr, cvs (oops, is that one
still alive?), etc. We don't enforce programming languages so why enforce
content managers? Instead of that let each translation system select his own.

2. Even if we had agreed on one content manager, then after many years a
grass-root project might spring up out of the ground and do very well, and
overtake any existing translation software that now exists. It might have
chosen its own content manager, and so by overtaking all might enforce its own
type of workflow, making anything else fade away.

3. It is very desirable if the various translation softwares could work
together, that is, data can be interchanged and people can collaborate in the
same translation project using different software, yet being able to
collaborate.

4. When looking at Windows / Linux interoperability, we might learn a lesson
from there. It has happened in the past that one platform adapts to the other
platform's standards so as to establish the possibility of interoperability.
Think of the samba project for example.

5. Taking all of the above in account, my view is that each translation
software should carry on in the path it already has chosen. To enable
collaboration between different content managers, and different layouts within
each system's repository, all working on the bible, it would not be difficult
to create a small application that sits in between all of these. It could pull
in changes from one type of repository, e.g. from git, and merge them with its
own project data. Then it could pull in changes from the other type of
repository, most likely hg, and merge these too. Then it would push the changes
back to both repositories. Conflicts could be resolved automatically (e.g. take
"git" or take "hg"), or manually. If ten people collaborate on one project,
then there would be only one workstation or server that runs the above glue
application.

6. The world is varied and so are the views of people. One person wrote git and
the other person didn't like git's processing model, so wrote hg. That's how
the world works. Rather than trying hard to change that situation, and
discovering that it is going to fail, I recommend the above workaround.

Teus.

Comment By: Teus Benschop (teus)