[be] [ bibledit-Feature Requests-1696608 ] draft editing system

From: SourceForge.net
Subject: [be] [ bibledit-Feature Requests-1696608 ] draft editing system
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:34:22 -0700

Feature Requests item #1696608, was opened at 2007-04-09 00:02
Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by teus
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=658624&aid=1696608&group_id=111189

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Hi Teus,

As I look to the future in my various translation projects, I see the need for
a draft editing system. Here's the language situation we might be looking at:

Let's suppose there is a translation program that is in a major language which
is spoken with some variation in different areas. Two halves of the country
will use slightly different pronoun sets (version A and B), and the team is
looking toward a "green" version for readers of Islamic background (version C).
The far-flung translation team is starting from one rough draft, but there will
be editors and checking/revision teams in different provinces working on
various drafts (prechecking draft, first checking draft, second checking draft,
trial publication draft).

[I am not sure at what point the various regions may want to separate the
drafts. It could be that the changes for each region could always be made by
consistent changes, or it could be that there will be differences that would
make it better to separate version A, B, and C earlier. (I hope not!) Even if
an early separation happens, it is certain that suggestions for one version
should be considered for the others.]

One person will act as the keeper of the current definitive draft (draft
administrator), and he will often need to compare changes made by an editor to
an old draft with the current draft as he now has it. It is certain that the
different editors and checking teams will work at different speeds, so that
verse xx will often have been changed by different people already when the
"draft administrator" receives yet another proposal to change the same verse.
He will need to be able to compare the new suggestion with both the original
and current version, to evaluate whether he changes the draft again or just
makes a project note.

I have tried exporting from Bibledit to a nicely-formatted document. My editors
have made changes directly and then I use the document-compare feature of
Openoffice. And I have also tried having my editors turn of the
changes-tracking feature. This causes a confusing mess for the editor to look
at. Both ways, I am left with a draft containing complicated color patterns,
and I have to manually compare that with what is on the Bibledit screen. It is
all too easy to miss changes that the editor intended to make.

Or I can send them the USFM version.  (Footnotes get in the way, and they
editor cannot directly make a formatted version for his checking team.) While
editing, the editor will use the Openoffice changes-tracking feature, and I can
OK changes one by one. After that, I can copy and paste that text, a chapter at
a time, into Bibledit. But it is all too easy to have things disappear in this
process. If I am not careful, I may not notice that a \p or a whole footnote
was mistakenly marked to be deleted. (This is the method I am currently using.)

So I wonder if another program (which we might name for now the
“VersionEditor”) could be created that would work with Bibledit for the various
members of a translation team, and if Bibledit could be beefed up to include
routines for comparing drafts created by those using the VersionEditor. The
VersionEditor would contain a subset of Bibledit's editing powers. (Hopefully
this could be variable. Some editors would have permission to add section
headings, combine verses, or to add paragraph marks, others would just be able
to change the content of these things.) Bibledit would need to have a routine
to export single books for the VersionEditor. The VersionEditor would, like
Bibledit, mark project notes with the author and date, and should be able to
view project notes from other teams. (Project notes should be exported together
somehow with the USFM text!) The VersionEditor should be able to export
formatted copies which could be printed using Openoffice.

Perhaps the VersionEditor would just be Bibledit, except the computer
administrator would turn certain editing powers on or off depending on whether
the computer is being used by an editor, consultant, or project administrator.

[There is already a program called Our Word, by John Wimbish of the Seed
Company. It is designed to be used by MTTs for translating from a front
translation in a related language into their mother tongue. That program also
has permissions for various editing tasks that can be turned on or off and some
kind of version tracking system. It is possible that this program could be used
with Bibledit in the way I suggested. But I am fairly certain it would not be
able to make Bibledit project notes. ]

When the project/draft administrator receives a revised draft and chooses to
integrate it into a project, I envision seeing his current draft (now having
revisions made by editor A) and the revised draft by team B in two parallel
panes. In the received-draft pane, he should be able to see the changes that
were made by team B as compared to the draft that was originally received by
that team. (So the VersionEditor should keep a copy of the original file that
it received! Bibledit would then be able to compare that in a way similar to
the way Openoffice shows deletions and insertions using different colors.) In
the administrator's current draft pane he should be able to see how the current
draft would change if he accepts the changes to the current verse as proposed
in the other pane (unless the two versions have become too different). The
administrator should be able to make changes by hand to either pane before he
gives the command to merge the received-draft pane into the Current Draft pane,
or whether he just gives the command to move on to the next verse or
comparison. If he makes a change to the received-draft pane that differs from
the current draft pane, the current draft pane should be updated to reflect
this.

This is, of course, a huge "feature request." Given the new ways we will need
to work toward 2025 goals, it is very likely that having a draft editing system
would be useful in many parts of the world.

In Christ,
Phil

--
Phil & Gale Fields