bbdb-user

Re: gnus/bbdb window configuration

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: gnus/bbdb window configuration
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 10:45:22 -0400

> * Roland Winkler <jvaxyre@tah.bet> [2022-09-09 08:51:00 -0500]:
>
> On Thu, Sep 08 2022, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> I would prefer
>>
>> |-----------------------|
>> | *Summary*             |
>> |-----------------------|
>> |              |        |
>> | *Article*    | *BBDB* |
>> |              |        |
>> |-----------------------|
>>
>> (because *Summary* line lengths are much longer than *Article* and often
>> *BBDB* shows _many_ records).
>>
>> How do I do that?
>
> Window configuration hackery is handled by bbdb-pop-up-window.
> I haven't looked at it in a long time.  It seems you want that
> it splits a different window.

Yes, thank you, `bbdb-pop-up-window' splits the first window whose
buffer's major mode is in

(cdr (assoc mua bbdb-mua-mode-alist))

and it is always summary (because it is higher).

What can be done is to treat this mode list as a priority list, i.e.,
prefer the buffers with modes that some earlier in that list.

Even better, split the tallest window that matches the `horiz-p'
predicate (based on a user option).

BTW, I think `bbdb-mua-mode-alist' can be made more robust by checking
the parent modes too, i.e., instead of `(eq major-mode X)` use
`derived-mode-p'.

--
Sam Steingold (https://aphar.dreamwidth.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
https://lastingimpactpsychology.com https://steingoldpsychology.com