[Bayonne-devel] GNU Telephony Dispatch #1

From: David Sugar
Subject: [Bayonne-devel] GNU Telephony Dispatch #1
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:36:21 -0400

Greetings friends,

as some may have guessed this has been a particularly difficult year
moving GNU Telephony forward.  I will comment to some of you separately
on these issues in more detail in a follow-up email.  I am using this
moment, however, simply to let people know we have not gone away and
that we do plan to continue forward.

It is worth noting this is GNU Telephony dispatch #1.  Given that, I do
plan to offer more dispatches in the future, and to do so on a somewhat
regular basis.  In dispatch #2 I will discuss the release of ucommon
0.4, along with the (anticipated) introduction of the GPLv3.  I would
also be happy to talk about the GNU Telephony roadmap in future
dispatches and/or with those who are or wish to actively help work on it.

What I will say about the roadmap in this dispatch is that detailed user
stories are being written potentially for a GNU Telephony phone system
and a new telecenter application. Part of this plan involves devolving
the existing Bayonne codebase into several packages, including a new
stand-alone call server and a stand-alone xmlrpc management server, as
well as a lighter weight Bayonne 3.0 app server.  At present I expect a
24-48 month development period to execute this plan based on current
funding and resources.  This may change if we find additional funding or
resources, or if the current plan is modified.

Finally, I would like to thank those who have chosen to donate funds
and/or equipment at this time.  I very much appreciate this right now.