Re: [Bayonne-devel] Feeding live continous audio

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Bayonne-devel] Feeding live continous audio
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:13:50 -0500

I should add the play command can be told to play from a file that is actually a generic unix fifo. You could create the fifo in the tmp file path used by Bayonne from a perl script and name it on a per-channel basis. If you name your fifo a "raw" file type name, like ".al" or ".ul", then it won't expect to look for a header. However, there would be no protection from "underflow" should the process feeding the fifo lag behind bayonne's playing of the file. Finally, there is a special file supported in Bayonne which is a circular "feed" (play.feed). This is a file which is re-read from the beginning when the end of file is reached. It may be possible to create another process that re-writes a feed of a fixed size file in a timed manner. I would suggest partitioning the feed into two parts, and referesh each part seperately. The /dev/shm/.bayonne path could be used to save such a file to benefit from ram rather than using physical media to store the rotating buffer feed.

I never looked at using this method externally, but normally the record command can be recorded into a feed and other channels can then listen to what is being recorded in realtime in this way.

Alessandro Ranellucci wrote:
On 31-12-2004 at 13:22, David Sugar wrote:

>I actually have been thinking about this need, and I may try in the >future creating a version of libexec/libaudio that can be used to >directly process a live feed in this manner...

Hmmm, that means that it isn't currently possible. Do you have any idea
on how to do this now, maybe using other software than Bayonne? Are you
sure that there's no way to connect remote telephone users to local
/dev/dsp (which I would use)?

  - Alessandro