bayonne-desktop

[Bayonne-desktop] Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: [Bayonne-devel]Re: GNOME "

From: David Sugar
Subject: [Bayonne-desktop] Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: [Bayonne-devel]Re: GNOME "Telephony Application Programming Services" Proposed
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 07:02:50 -0500

This is an interesting question.  Many proprietary PBX systems do have cti
interfaces (that are unfortunately also often proprietary).  The manner w32
solves this problem is to have a two stack library (known as TAPI), so that a
vendor can create a proprietary plugin to an already proprietary library
interface.  This isolates the vendor's code from both the os and user's code,
but does so by having a two level api (one user visible, one vendor visible)
and by redirecting all calls to the lower level plugin.  This is a very
fragile approach, is inefficient since actual api calls have to be redirected
through several layers, and means any change in the "wrapper" library
requires an entirely new plugin has to be created (none are backward
compatible, which is why there are many broken TAPI drivers from many PBX
vendors litering the cti realm as they only worked with what are now no
longer supported releases of TAPI).

In the case of gtaps, as a concept, I suppose anything that happens to
implement the same defined library interface calls which applications link
with at runtime could implement the specification.  A runtime linkable
library could in this sense even be proprietary, although I would not
recommend that.  However, gtaps would be concerned with implementing model
(l)gpl'd libraries for existing free/oss telephony servers like Bayonne,
Yate, Asterisk, and to provide an interface spec for those trying to write
the same for other things, like say your Nortal switch, although reverse
engineering, rather than a vendor supplied source secret library, would be
the desirable way to do this.  At least that is the essense of the idea and
the project; a library interface specification, and one (or more) reference
implementation(s) for existing free/oss telephony platforms.  A few simple
tools that exercise the library (such as a screen pop applet, a dialer
thingie, etc) will be what makes the project complete.