bayonne-desktop

[Bayonne-desktop] Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: [Bayonne-devel]Re: GNOME "

From: Adam Williams
Subject: [Bayonne-desktop] Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: [Bayonne-devel]Re: GNOME "Telephony Application Programming Services" Proposed
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 05:53:20 -0500

Why are these messages stamped as year 2003?

> GNU Bayonne already does some of these same things as well and has done so
> for
> a number of years now in varied commercial, carrier class, and governmental
> settings.  It is also an integral part of the GNU system, and does some
> things that are distinctly different from Asterisk.  However, TAPS has
> nothing to do directly with being such a system.  TAPS is also not a
> softphone client.   Rather, TAPS is intended purely to standardize how we
> integrate such things like GNU Bayonne, Astreisk, or other common office
> telephony servers and systems, with common desktop applications (such as
> address books, contact management  systems, etc).  In that sense it services
> some of the same role as JTAPI, although in a manner far more directly usable
> in GNOME (through a C callable library), and both far simpler and more
> consistent with free software  development than JTAPI (or fully proprietary
> systems such as Microsoft TAPI) currently do this.

This would be fabulous.  Is there any chance this will support
commerical PBX's (for CTIish applications) anytime in the forseeable
future.  I have 13 Nortel BCM VOIP phonesystems and have been looking
for a way to integrate these with OpenGroupware in a
click-contact-to-call fashion - as can be done from a Win32 system.