Re: [Axiom-math] if-expression and variables

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] if-expression and variables
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 21:43:54 -0400

PS: I just like to add that if a system provides automatically an expansion of the definition of test1 in "evaluating" "test1 y", then it is easy to see the system can easily get "clogged" with unintelligible output, for example, even in as simple an expression as "test1 test1 y" and no system can handle expansion of things like "test1^n y" (iterating test1 n times, where n is also a variable).

(Mathematica provides a "notation" to hold the expression, for example, Nest[test1,y,n]), in effect, creating a new function through composition.)

The problem in Axiom is, however, still due to the dual (and automatically selected) meanings of "y < 10". If we qualify the "<" operation by "<($Integer)", then Axiom will refuse to evaluate "y <($Integer) 10" because y is not known to be of type Integer. Axiom announces an error, while Mathematica returns the input.

William

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:40:28 +0200