Re: [Axiom-math] relate root representations

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] relate root representations
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:04:18 -0500

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Alejandro Jakubi wrote:

> As a concrete example, in a follow-up of the example that I have posted
> a few weeks ago, consider the lists produced by:
>
> allRootsOf(p^3 - p + 1/10)$RECLOS(FRAC INT)
>
> [%F8,%F9,%F10]
>
> solve((p^3 - p + 1/10=0)::EQ EXPR INT,p)
>

>              +-----------+             +-----------+
>              |      2                  |      2
>             \|- 3%p0  + 4  - %p0    - \|- 3%p0  + 4  - %p0
>  [p= %p0,p= --------------------,p= ----------------------]
>                       2                        2
>                                 Type: List Equation Expression Integer
>
> radicalSolve(p^3 - p + 1/10=0,p)
>
> So, I mean eg a command that takes %F8 as input and gives as output the
> correspondig equation (or rhs) in the second or third list.
>
> Is there such command?

No there is no such command since RECLOS does not actually solve for
the roots exactly. It only finds the intervals within which each
unique real root lies. But in a previous email I suggested a simple
routine that did a lookup of the exact root based on computing it's
floating point value. Didn't you like that approach?

Regards,
Bill Page.