[Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-developer] APL, J, and Axiom documentation

From: Ted Kosan
Subject: [Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-developer] APL, J, and Axiom documentation
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 22:52:52 -0400

Tim wrote:

> I have been looking at the question of documenting Axiom's algorithms.
>
> Beyond the english description I've been pondering the use of J (an
> ascii version of APL).

I have been studying Sun's Fortress mathematics-oriented programming
language recently and it seems to be able to encode mathematics
algorithm pseudocode that looks very close to the pseudocode.  Here is
a .pdf file I put together that contains slides from a Fortress talk
which shows this:

http://sage.ssu.portsmouth.oh.us/tmp/fortress_compared_with_algorithm_pseudocode.pdf

If Fortress was suitable for what you had in mind, my thought is that
there is a chance that Sun would provide funding for encoding Axiom's
algorithms in it.

Ted