[Axiom-math] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: [open-axiom-devel] [fricas-devel] Re

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-math] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: [open-axiom-devel] [fricas-devel] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: iterators and cartesian product.
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:39:29 -0400

On 10/31/07, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Bill Page wrote:
>
> |                     I think the lack of mutability in functional
> | languages like Haskell is one of the harder things to get used
> | to but at the same time one of it's greatest strengths.
>
> Haskell has imperative skin -- check out `monad'.

Yes, I think that is a very good point and it does soften my point
above a little. "lack of mutability" is misleading. Mutable structures
can be modeled in Haskell as a derived concept.  For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monads_in_functional_programming

(See especially references at the end of the article.)

Using a purely functional language does not mean that imperative-style
programming is impossible in that language. It might even be
interesting to consider implementing something akin to monads in
Aldor/SPAD, but I think you will agree that fundamentally these
languages were not designed to be purely functional.

Regards,
Bill Page.