Re: [Axiom-math] What is the "+/" operator?

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] What is the "+/" operator?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 21:50:58 -0400

Quoting Gabriel Dos Reis:

... Consequently, sum or product, etc. are just *catamorphisms" you would
express naturally through the reduction functional (also known as "fold"
in the functional programming community).  There is a good paper that
should probably be linked from Axiom's website:

  "Functional Programming with Bananas, Lenses, Envelopes and Barbed Wire"
       Erik Meijer, Maarten Fokkinga, and Ross Paterson

    http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~fokkinga/index.html#detail_0000003415

Excellent, thanks!

I'll trade you another one (which it turns out actually references
Meijer, et al. :-)

"Fast and loose reasoning is morally correct"
  by Nils Anders Danielsson, John Hughes, Patrik Jansson and
  Jeremy Gibbons

http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1111037.1111056

I must admit that where I first realized (four years ago) that Aldor
(and Spad) actually  have the tokens "(|", "|)", "[|, "|]", "{|", and "|}",
I thought they were to support that kind of algebraic programming. However, the Aldor manual just says they are reserved for future use without saying much.

.. interesting.
Regards,
Bill Page.