[Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Advantage of Types and different

From: Bertfried Fauser
Subject: [Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Advantage of Types and different representations
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:50:38 +0200 (CEST)

On 28 Mar 2007, Martin Rubey wrote:
Hi *;

its amazing how these things cook up in a periodic manner, my guess is,
that occassional users and newcommers are afraid of typed CAS and tend to
use untyped (esy going, quick solution) CAS.

> Another example, again: how would you multiply symmetric functions in SymPy?
> Or
> Maple or Mathematica, if you prefer.

If you try to implement this in maple, as I did, you really really develop
desire to have a typed CAS at your finger tips, one of my motivations to
use AXIOM on a more frequent basis. (I could provide ugly examples in
maple where typing would prevent nonsense from being produced, ...) Even
more discusting you need to produce in untyped languanges your types
yourself, loosing tremendously working power for your actual subject.

Question> How do you distinguish in SymPy a tensor A and B of say second
and third rank? (I don't want to see a list of lists etc of the
components though)

Enjoy AXIOM :))
Ciao
BF.

% PD Dr Bertfried Fauser
%     Institution: Max Planck Institute for Math, Leipzig
<http://www.mis.mpg.de>
%   Privat Docent: University of Konstanz, Phys Dept
<http://www.uni-konstanz.de>
%  contact|->URL : http://clifford.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~fauser/
%          Phone : Leipzig +49 341 9959 735  Konstanz +49 7531 693491