Re: [Axiom-math] Curious behavior of Taylor series

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] Curious behavior of Taylor series
Date: 21 Aug 2006 21:21:36 +0200

"Igor Khavkine" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've filed a bug report (#312) and I have a tentative fix for it. But I'm
> having trouble testing it. I've copied the culprit file algebra/sttaylor.spad
> into my current working dir and modified it.  Issuing the command )compile
> sttaylor compiled the file. However, the old definition of sqrt is still
> being invoked. How do I force the code from sttaylor.spad in my working
> directory to take priority?

That's very strange, usually, after compilation, the new definition replaces
the old. You can also say

)lib CONSTRUCTORNAME

to load it explicitely.

Are you sure you modified the right operation? Using

)tr STTAYLOR )ma

I get the trace below. I suspect you modified powern?

Maybe you could send me the modification, then I can look at it.

BTW: Thanks a lot for looking at this!

Martin

(5) -> sqrt(monx*monx)
1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,27 :
 arg1= [...]
 arg2= [...]
1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,27 :
 [...]
1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.powern,117 :
       1
 arg1= -
       2
 arg2= [...]
 1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,26 :
  arg1= 0
  arg2= [...]
 1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,26 :
  []
 1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,27 :
  arg1= [...]
  arg2= [...]
 1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,27 :
  [...]
 1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.+,17 :
  arg1= []
  arg2= [...]
 1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.+,17 :
  [...]
 1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,26 :
  arg1= 1
  arg2= [...]
 1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,26 :
  [...]
 1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,27 :
  arg1= []
  arg2= [...]
 1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,27 :
  [...]
 1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.+,17 :
  arg1= [...]
  arg2= [...]
 1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.+,17 :
  [...]
1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.powern,117 :
 [...]

1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.deriv,62 :
 arg1= [...]
 1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.int,59 :
  arg1= 1
 1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.int,59 :
  [...]
 1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.mapmult,60 :
  arg1= [...]
  arg2= []
 1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.mapmult,60 :
  [...]
1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.deriv,62 :
 [...]
1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,27 :
 arg1= [...]
 arg2= [...]
1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,27 :
 [...]
1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,27 :
 arg1= []
 arg2= [...]
1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.*,27 :
 [...]
1<enter StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.-,23 :
 arg1= [...]
 arg2= [...]
1>exit  StreamTaylorSeriesOperations.-,23 :
 [...]
   (5)  1
                         Type: UnivariateTaylorSeries(Expression Integer,x,0)
(6) ->