Re: [Axiom-math] Curious behavior of Taylor series

From: Igor Khavkine
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] Curious behavior of Taylor series
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:13:02 -0400

On 21 Aug 2006 12:01:55 +0200, Martin Rubey <address@hidden> wrote:
"Igor Khavkine" <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, but the following definitely looks like a bug.
>
> (279) -> monx := monomial(1,1)$UTS(EXPR INT,x,0)
>    (279)  x
>                          Type: UnivariateTaylorSeries(Expression Integer,x,0)
> (281) -> sqrt(monx*monx)
> (281) ->
>    (281)  1
>                          Type: UnivariateTaylorSeries(Expression Integer,x,0)

Yes, that's a bug. Please submit a report and fix it :-)

you can see what's going on by saying

)tr UTS )ma

However, it seems that sqrt is not defined in UTS itself. So you'll have to
find out where it is defined and that trace that constructor.

If you need more support, please ask for it.

I've filed a bug report (#312) and I have a tentative fix for it. But
I'm having trouble testing it. I've copied the culprit file
algebra/sttaylor.spad into my current working dir and modified it.
Issuing the command )compile sttaylor compiled the file. However, the
old definition of sqrt is still being invoked. How do I force the code
from sttaylor.spad in my working directory to take priority?

Thanks.

Igor