RE: [Axiom-math] special functions

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-math] special functions
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:09:14 -0500

On January 26, 2006 5:09 PM Vanuxem Grégory wrote:

> No :-(

I suggest that someone tackle this problem based on the following
article:

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~serge/papers/Winitzki_2003_Comput
ing_the_incomplete_Gamma_function_to_arbitrary_precision_LNCS_2667.pdf

Computing the incomplete Gamma function to arbitrary precision

Serge Winitzki1
Department of Physics, Ludwig-Maximilians University, Theresienstr. 37,
80333
Munich, Germany (address@hidden)

Abstract. I consider an arbitrary-precision computation of the
incomplete Gamma function from the Legendre continued fraction.
Using the method of generating functions, I compute the convergence
rate of the continued fraction and find a direct estimate of the
necessary number of terms. This allows to compare the performance
of the continued fraction and of the power series methods. As an
application, I show that the incomplete Gamma function Gamma(a, z)
can be computed to P digits in at most O (P) long multiplications
uniformly in z for Re z > 0. The error function of the real argument,
erf x, requires at most O(P2/3) long multiplications.

--------

I would be glad to help someone with the SPAD coding.

Regards,
Bill Page.