RE: [Axiom-math] TexMacs Windows Axiom<->Maxima incompatible (DLL?)

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-math] TexMacs Windows Axiom<->Maxima incompatible (DLL?)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:01:48 -0500

On January 25, 2006 8:44 AM Herb Martin wrote:
> I downloaded and installed this:
>
>       axiom-windows-0.1.4.exe
>
> There doesn't seem to be any equivalent batch file
> either.

?? Batch file equivalent to what?

> The installation program installed shortcuts that point
> directly to axiomsys and I have to start TexMacs
> (tm_axiom.exe) separately.

tm_axiom.exe is **not** TeXmacs! You need to install
TeXmacs separately. See:

http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/download/windows.en.html

There is more information about the TeXmacs interface for
Axiom and specifically Axiom on Windows here:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/TeXmacs

> There doesn't even seem to be any sman.exe included.
>
> [No bat or cmd files in my Axiom directory tree;
> there are a bunch of bat files in my separately
> downloaded (and apparently incompatible) WinTexMacs
> directory, but they all seem to be within the ghostscript
> subtree.]

Why do you say they are "apparently incompatible"? WinTeXmacs
should work wint Axiom for Windows "right out of the box".

> > sman communicates over sockets to these processes and the
> > axiom interpreter uses SOCK-SEND-INT to send integers. it
> > appears that your AXIOMsys does not have the C routines
> > linked in. this is odd as the second step of the build process
> > is to compile the C code and the third step is to build GCL
> > and link it into the image.

No, this is not done at all in the current Windows build of Axiom.

> This makes sense and likely something similar was intended
> for the pre-compiled Windows version (i.e., I didn't compile
> this locally, it was downloaded as-is.)

No. Niether the pre-compiled nor the current Windows sources
for Axiom support sockets via the old Axiom-specific code.
There is some (experimental) support for native GCL socket
support, but this is not used by Axiom.

> I have no problem with "read the manual" answers
> if someone knows the manual in question....<grin>

Well as I said previously, the Axiom website

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org

has a lot of "answers". If you find places where it is deficient,
please feel free to add additional information - this is a
community-run wiki (editable website).

Regards,
Bill Page.