RE: [Axiom-math] TexMacs Windows Axiom<->Maxima incompatible (DLL?)

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-math] TexMacs Windows Axiom<->Maxima incompatible (DLL?)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:26:53 -0500

On January 25, 2006 1:25 AM  Herb Martin wrote:

> ... I would like to understand better what is supposed to
> be working (on Win32 without anexplicit CygWin install.)
>
> I have installed Axiom and understand there is a
> TexMacs included:  tm_axiom.exe
>
> This runs if started first.

?? What runs? You mean tm_axiom.exe? That is not supposed
to be run by you. It is internal to TeXmacs. tm_axiom is
the process that interfaces between TeXmacs and Axiom. It
handles all communications in both directions.

> But I don't seem to have (or perhaps understand) any
> connection between Axiom and TexMacs.

If you have tm_axiom.exe installed in the right location
(See: http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/TeXmacs ), then inside
TeXmacs you should be able to choose Axiom from the Session
menu. When you do this, TeXmacs starts tm_axiom.exe and in
turn tm_axiom.exe starts AXIOMsys (the main Axiom process).
(All this is normally invisible to you, as a user.)

The Axiom commands that you enter into TeXmacs after the
red -> prompt are sent via tm_axiom.exe to AXIOMsys. Axiom
calculates a result and generates a LaTeX expression as
output. This is expression is sent back to tm_axiom which
folds the LaTeX output to conform to the page size and then
tm_axiom.exe sends it TeXmacs. TeXmacs converts the LaTeX
expressions to it's internal form and displays the result
inside the document.

> Also when using draw commands (from the Axiom docs)
> from within the Axiom command line I get socket
> errors which implies that some program should be
> setup perhaps as a "server" etc.
>
>  (41) -> draw(f, 0..4)
>     Graph data being transmitted to the viewport manager...
>
>     >> System error:
>     SOCK-SEND-INT is invalid as a function.
>
>  protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)
>  (41) ->
>
> Maybe there is a doc I missed for installing Axiom
> and getting it to work with (the included) TexMacs
> or for creating Graphics....

Yes. :) The Axiom Wiki web site has a lot of useful information
(although admittedly of uneven quality and some a little out of
date already ... :(

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/55GraphicsDoesNotWorkOnWindows
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomGraphics
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/TeXmacs

Unfortunately Axiom graphics is not yet available on Windows.

Regards,
Bill Page.