[Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom, browsers, and crystal

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: [Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom, browsers, and crystal
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:55:44 -0700

address@hidden address@hidden wrote:
> *  the DOM model is not really math-aware

It doesn't have to be.  All it needs to have is nodes that contain
expressions, figures, or input.  It is totally appropriate to
encapsulate these.  The DOM is for the presentation end, not
calculation.

> *  the browser cannot interact with the filesystem

This is not true.  (Did you try the save button on tiddlywiki?)  Mozilla
will complain about security, but you can tell mozilla to allow it to do
so.  Technically tiddly uses XUL for mozilla and ActiveX under IE.

You mean like this? http://chat.ma.la/draw.html

> *  the browser pages are "paper-like"

I think this is more a reflection of people's thought patterns than the
ability of the technology.  Being able to address and modify the
document in response to user requests is hardly "paper-like".

In particular, I like the ability of DOM to address and modify MathML
elements...

> the browser is a dumb tool at the moment. we need to break out of the
> mold, pick a particular browser, and make our own version of it.

I don't think we should make our own version, but I think we should
standardize on Mozilla, which is available under similar licenses to
Axiom.

> our version can be modified to do read/write of the file system,

Already available.

> handle socket connections,

Already available (AJAX).

> present tabbed pages or sub-areas as an active
> canvas so Axiom can write graphics or text to them in real time,

Remember all interaction is by user request.  Never should the server
need to spontaneously put something on the user's screen.

> present a section of the screen as command-line I/O,

Demonstrated by Kai to be possible already.

> show axiom state in special tabs,

If axiom binds to ports no localhost, one page could show internal state.

> allow the browser to start axiom,

Either make a startup script that starts axiom then the web browser, or
possibly one of File.execute or Install.execute in the XPInstall object.

> let it speak lisp,

I don't think this is necessary, except by interaction with axiom.

> etc.

I'm sorry, I meant to have a working demo before I brought this up
again.  From my perspective, everything is possible, it's just a matter
of finding time to paste it all together...

I'm not sure this discussion is useful, what we need is code... ;)

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen
    these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding
    fathers used in the great struggle for independence." --Charles A. Beard