[Axiom-math] RE: [Axiom-developer] MATLAB programming wiki

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-math] RE: [Axiom-developer] MATLAB programming wiki
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 10:52:38 -0400

On May 22, 2005 1:48 AM Tim Daly wrote:

> MATLAB appears to have a wiki which sponsors programming
> contests:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/contest/ants/home.html
>
> The most interesting property seems to be that they get better
> algorithms if everyone collaborates on the wiki.
>
> Perhaps we should borrow this idea and highlight the algorithm
> of the month on the axiom wiki.

I like this idea, but can we really make it fly? Certainly we
can advertise the winners and make some nice looking web pages
with photographs and all, but what can we offer as "prizes".
This is one of the delemma's of free open source software.
And that reminds me ...

I have been wondering whether it might be worthwhile to arrange
for some Axiom promotional "stuff":

  1) Axiom t-shirts
  2) Axiom hats
  3) Axiom coffee mugs

etc. like http://www.mozillastore.com

There are several web.coms that offer this sort of product but
typically the project only receives a small portion of the
profit. Of course a small portion is a lot more than nothing,
and given that donations to the Axiom Foundation have not
progressed at all beyond those of the initial "dedicated few",
I don't see any alternative when it comes to raising some funds
to promote Axiom.

Ideas? Opinions?

Regards,
Bill Page.