Re: [Axiom-math] input files, functions

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] input files, functions
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:08:59 +0100

Dear Constantine,

 > I am using the linux version of axiom but cannot do any graphics.

OK, thats also what I use. I don't know the state of he art of graphics, in
fact. It seems that it works on linux, but I didn't try it out.

 > I have texmacs, but do not have the "interface" file to work with axiom. Is
 > it possible to run axiom from within texmacs and thus do graphics somehow ??

I don't have texmacs, I use emacs. As far as I know, graphics doesn't have
anything to do with texmacs. More information on using Axiom with TeXmacs:

http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/TeXmacs

As you are running linux, it might be that your installation is broken. The
page above says, that it should work "out of the box". Maybe you installed
TeXmacs before axiom?

 > In the meantime I have downloaded the program maxima you mentioned in your
 > previous email and printed the manual. However, its not at all clear how to
 > write programs/scripts to do symbolic computations with matrices,
 > simplifications, etc.

I found that programming in the maxima language was a pain. However, maxima is
wonderful, if you like programming in lisp. In this case, you can program in
lisp and use all the available Maxima functions. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend
it as a programming tool.

 > If possible, please email me some example programs and how to run them with
 > maxima, and any clear maxima tutorials if available - thanks very much.

I don't have any, sorry. You'll have to ask the maxima people.

Martin