[Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-mail] feedback - AXIOM and undergrad teaching

From: Grant Keady
Subject: [Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-mail] feedback - AXIOM and undergrad teaching
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:53:59 +0800 (WST)

Tim
The MIT ocw material would seem a reasonable focus ...
so I agree with you. You asked for feedback, so here goes.

A colleague here at University of Western Australia has
AXIOM running on his Debian linux machine, and I've checked it a bit.
And yes, free open source CA obviously has implications for
undergrad teaching, and a few of us in the UWA School of Maths
will probably be putting together a short article (one page intro,
and one page each for GAP, maxima and AXIOM) on open source CA
for the local undergraduate maths magazine "AfterMath".

There are other worthwhile education related projects.
http://maths-physics.org.uk/aiminfo/
http://aiminfo.net
AiM is an open-source "Assessment in Mathematics" system,
depending, however, in current version, totally on Maple.
(It has, the notable advantage over many others in the genre
of being easy to author for, and "it works", even if one
can find style and design criticisms.)
The page there reports under 22nd June 2003:
Chris Sangwin at the University of Birmingham has received a grant to
rewrite AiM so that it can work with a choice of computer algebra systems,
including open-source systems.
e-mail: address@hidden
(I have already told Chris that when he has made some progress,
and if I agree with his designs - where currently I favour using JSP
as well as Java servlets akin to those that are already used
(but will look at what is produced, and make my mind up then)-
I would be interested in helping with a database of questions
implemented in AXIOM/Aldor.)

Next point. No reason why MIT ocw has to be the only focus for
teaching efforts. In 1996 I gave an
"(Polynomial Algebra) Algorithms of Computer Algebra" course
at Queen Mary College, London. (It had been done in REDUCE
up to 1995, but for good reasons, had to be changed to Maple in
96 and later. Fellow Australians at University of New South
Wales were giving a similar course, and handed on their notes
and question sets which I merged with the QMW materials.)
I'm hoping in 2004 to get a 4th year undergrad to help do an AXIOM
version as part of an undergrad honours project. Follow links
at
http://www.maths.uwa.edu.au/~keady/Teaching/UWAteach/honsProj.html
from which you will get to the LaTeX sources.
If others want to help with AXIOM equivalents of the Maple, and
perhaps tidying the documents, I would be happy.
The UNSW documents were influenced by a proposed (Maple) book by
Kalorkoti, so there would be legal preliminaries in any widespread
distribution. Co-authorship with Kalorkoti, and UNSW and QMW people
for bits they want. ...

Though off-topic, I last looked at my QMW Algorithms
documents in 1999, and, at the time was keen on TechExplorer.
DOES TECHEXPLORER STILL EXIST IN FREE VERSION FOR linux
Netscape or Mozilla? I've failed to find a page to download it
from. (At UWA Maths we would have other uses for on-the-fly
rendering of LaTeX to web-browser, and I'm not sure what we should
use.) ANY ADVICE?

Thanks for reviving AXIOM.
Grant Keady