axiom-developer

Re: Axiom musings ... Hamming and SANE

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: Axiom musings ... Hamming and SANE
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 13:03:05 -0400

... [snip] ...

I've been scratching at Wittgenstein, the Vienna Circle,
and Godel. It got me thinking about the notion of Type
hierarchies and the current view of Type theory, specifically
its use to eliminate paradox.

Which leads my thoughts to the current fad of types and
functional programming.

I think the whole notion of types and functional programming
eliminates the "interesting" part of computing. Specifically,
it attempts to eliminate self-reference and its most interesting
aspect of self-modification.

Systems that can't self-reference and self-modify are sterile.

I'm beginning to think that the key flaw in Godel's 2 theorems
is that they don't take self-reference and self-modification into
account. At this point it's just not clear to me how to express
self-reference and self-modification in Godel numbering.

Tim