axiom-developer

Re: trivial calculator problem

From: Arthur Norman
Subject: Re: trivial calculator problem
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 08:01:24 +0100 (GMT Summer Time)

Just to add to the options, since Macsyma was mentioned too

With Reduce (available via sourceforge) I can try

on rounded;
precision 5;
equation := impedance = 1/(2*pi*frequency*capacitance);
capacitance := 1.0e-6;
if not numberp impedance then first solve(equation, impedance);
if not numberp frequency then first solve(equation, frequency);
if not numberp capacitance then first solve(equation, capacitance);
end;

and my output is then

12

                             0.159155
equation := impedance=-----------------------
                       capacitance*frequency

capacitance := 0.000001

           159155.0
impedance=-----------
           frequency

           159155.0
frequency=-----------
           impedance

=====

I think that from outside the immediate community I would characterise Axiom/Fricas as a sensible choice for those concerned with avoiding getting wrong answers because of "special cases" or slips that could emerge from failing to be aware of the detailed mathematics theories and structures that underpin a calculation. Axiom rather than Fricas may especially appeal to those who want to ability to inspect its (literate) source and based on that check and follow through everything it does so that they can formalise a justification of the correctness of its results.

Arthur