Re: Which ISP programmer for FreeBSD?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: Which ISP programmer for FreeBSD?
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:50:05 +0200

As Axel Rau wrote:

> What I see there, does this mean, that avrdude has received something at all
> from the programmer?

Doesn't seem so. There's no response at all.

Did you ever try running with STK500v1 as the protocol?

(I doubt it, since I think Atmel Studio would immediately want to
upgrade the firmware then ...)

Sorry, I have simply no idea what they might be doing in that Diamex
device. I never had one here to test.

Regarding your original question, it depends.

If you want a really robust ISP programmer that has full levelshifters
(so it can work on target suppliess between 1.8 and 5.0 V), the
original Atmel AVRISPmkII is unbeaten. You almost cannot damage that
one, even if mistreated.

I have no idea whether these Chinese clones of the original Atmel
device are working similarly well.

Downside: that Atmel device was never cheap, and it really does only
ISP.

If you want a good allrounder that can handle most protocols (but
AVRDUDE cannot handle TPI right now), the AtmelICE is really a nice
device.

Downside: meanwhile, it's twice as expensive as it used to be when
Atmel introduced it.

If you want something cheap, no levelshifter and fancy stuff, but
"just works", get an USBasp. Get two of them (they are cheap), and you
could use one of them to upgrade the firmware on the other one.

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/