AVRDUDE 6.4 released * now transitioning to Github

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: AVRDUDE 6.4 released * now transitioning to Github
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:42:01 +0100

Hello everyone,

it's a pleasure to finally announce the release of AVRDUDE version
6.4.  It's been a (too) long time since the last release.

There are many bugfixes and many new features in this release - a
personal "Thank you!" to everyone who contributed something. Without
all your help, the release wouldn't have been possible.

To those who feel unhappy since their patch or bug report was not
considered: sorry for that, but all my previous attempts to include
"everything" eventually got the release delayed forever, so I had to
decide to make a cut at some point, to finally get it out. Kept
promising that for way too long now.

Development won't stop, and with the help in particular of Marius
Greuel, right after this release, the entire project will now move to
Github. Marius created the "avrdudes" project for that purpose, and
already did a lot of background work to not only transfer the code
itself (many have been doing that before) but also the issue tracker
entries that form a part of the history and knowledgebase of the
project.

I already made the issue trackers on Savannah read-only, and I'm
kindly asking any developers to no longer commit anything to the
Savannah SVN tree. Please give Marius a bit of time to re-synch the
avrdudes/avrdude tree on Github, and then proceed there.

I won't close the Savannah project completely. For one, the existing
attachments still refer there (and won't be copied over, that makes no
sense). Also, we do have this mailing list on Savannah, and I don't
see a replacement for that on Github right now. In the next days, I'll
see how I can place a prominent notice on Savannah that's referring
users to the Github repo.

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/