[patch #10154] Update to serial code management for custom connection pa

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [patch #10154] Update to serial code management for custom connection parameters
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 12:11:11 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #5, patch #10154 (project avrdude):

[comment #3 comment #3:]

> If you do use some mechanism to ensure that the default value will always be
0, then sure. Thing is, AFAIK, without proper constructor you can guarantee
that.

There is a proper constructor, pgm_new() (in pgm.c), and it ensures the entire
pgm object is zeroed out initially.

I seem to remember we rely on that already elsewhere.

So yes, this is safe.

> > What alternate cflags settings does SerialUPDI require?
> >

> Even parity enabled, two stop bits.

I guess it's simpler then to just create an enum with the desired setting
variants, like SER_8N1, SER_8E2 and so on. That avoids having to create
AVRDUDE-specific versions for each individual cflag which the driver then
needs to remap to each particular system's cflag values anyway.

> > wAVR also wants to make the timeouts more flexible (since network timeouts
can easily exceed 100 ms), maybe we need a kind of architectural overhaul for
all of this.

> That is also something that could be considered. I was looking for correct
(and safe!) method that would have as little impact on the code as possible.

Since we are going to restructure things, it makes sense to also cleanup some
historical stuff.

That's by no means to blame you on that, it's simply that many things in
AVRDUDE are "historically grown"m rather than designed the way they are now.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?10154>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/