Re: Moving avrdude to Git ?

From: Xiaofan Chen
Subject: Re: Moving avrdude to Git ?
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 09:33:44 +0800

On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 7:29 AM Hannes Weisbach <hannes_weisbach@gmx.net> wrote:

> Just a comment about pthread dependencies, I think I’ve made before. If
> nothing changed,
> only the ftdi_syncbb programmer used that and it was required only, because
> buffer limits
> of the FTDI chip were ignored. Given proper handling of buffer sizes (see
> avrftdi) no
> deadlocks can occur using libftdi/FTDI chips and hence the need for threading
> goes away.
>  I faintly remember making that argument before and advocating for the
> pthreads
> requirement be dropped because it allows for easier windows builds. I’m not
> sure,
>  if I ever even submitted a patch for that, probably not.
>
> I know that this is a tangent to the current discussion, but if people start
> investing time
> in improving windows builds I thought I better mention it.

If only libftdi is the constraint, there is an alternative solution to
replace libftdi
with libusb.

FYI -- openocd project has done quite some conversion to replace libftdi
with libusb.
Eg:
https://github.com/openocd-org/openocd/blob/master/src/jtag/drivers/mpsse.c
https://github.com/openocd-org/openocd/blob/master/src/jtag/drivers/ft232r.c

If not, I think several projects have done that to replace pthread with native
Windows thread.

Personally I think MinGW is good enough especially with distributions like
MSys 2. However, MSVC compatibility is indeed good for Windows
developers. libusb and hidapi provide compatibility and even VS solutions
files. libftdi does not fully support MSVC but it more or less works (using
CMake) if you just need to build the library (not the examples).

--
Xiaofan