Re: gdbserver

From: Rainer Müller
Subject: Re: gdbserver
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 18:33:04 +0100

On 03/01/2020 02.38, Shane Santner wrote:
> I was wondering if any consideration has been given to creating a gdbserver
> interface for avrdude?  I'm currently using avrdude on a raspberry pi like
> device with linuxgpio as the hardware interface and having the ability to
> attach to a running target with something like gdbgui would be very
> useful.  I'm thinking about something similar to what openocd has done with
> their gdbserver interface.

Sounds like you are looking for avarice?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/avarice/

Note you will need a AVR-JTAG device to access the target, which also has to
provide a JTAG port. That is different from what you are most likely using now.
SPI only allows to read/write flash memory (and a few other operations), but for
in-circuit debugging you will need JTAG.

Rainer